Department of Political Science
About the Department
The Department was established in 1913 and first offered honours course in 1970. Some of our teachers have later joined various national and state level universities, have pursued research activities and received widespread recognition. Currently, the department has adequate number of competent teachers, two of whom are actively engaged in research. A number of our students have pursued further studies from acclaimed institutions. Some of them have taken up teaching as a profession and are involved in research activities.
- University of Calcutta recommended three years B.A. Honours Course
- University of Calcutta recommended three years B.A. General Course
Message of the H. O. D.
Other than classroom teaching, our department engages itself in organising educational tours and interactive students seminars and encourages students for participating in informal academic discussions. We look forward to conduct some syllabus related field studies by the students, which will enhance their understanding of the subject matter. The department has a good stock of books in the seminar library which really helps the students in their academic pursuits and in enriching their knowledge base.
- Dr. DEBAJYOTI BANERJEE (Head of the Department)
- Ms. PALLAVI SEN GUPTA
- Ms. PATRALI SINHA
- Mr. SUDEEPTA GHOSE
The Department possesses a rich seminar library for its honours students. Books in both English and Bengali are available for students. The library collection includes both reference books and those catering to specialized interests. There are about 1200 books in the stock.
- Annual Seminars – Invited Talks delivered by eminent scholars.
- Students’ Seminars – Academic Papers presented by students and followed by discussions. Evaluation done by external appraisers. Best three presenters receive awards and other presenters receive merit certificates.
- Wall Magazine – Prepared by students on a regular basis under the guidance of faculty.
- Cinematic Screenings – Screenings of socio-politically relevant documentaries/films followed by discussions.
- Educational Tours – Organised from time to time to places of socio-political importance with the objective of encouraging academic interactions beyond formal structures.
- District Level Youth Parliament and Model UNs – Students participate,individually and/or as a team, at periodic intervals.
- Other Academic Activities – Faculty participates in seminars, workshops and other research-based pursuits.
Departmental Email I.D